Originally, Hashtags were only used on the social network Twitter. The hashtag is a keyword, preceded by a # (hash), without spaces or special characters. Today it is used by users to find content associated with the keyword.
Why use hashtag ?
As mentioned above, the hashtag will allow the user to filter content related to the targeted keyword in the hashtag, no need to be friends with the people who use them. A way to categorize your content and make it accessible to Internet users because it will easily stand out. It is even possible to search hashtags directly on Google and social networks.
Important to know: there is a trend on hashtags, some periods where some will be more used than others. By using this popularity, your publication has an even greater chance of emerging to generate traffic and make it more attractive.
How to use them ?
- First define THE hashtag of your brand with which users can talk about you. This is a good way to differentiate yourself from your competitors. Use a short and precise one, as for example for us: #SpotYourRide (it is possible to deposit hashtags at OMPI).
- Use hashtags in connection with your brand, if you are a water sports structure like an aquapark you can use for example: #aquapark #fun #family #jump #water… Check out the hashtags that your competitors use. Be inspired by the strategy of major companies as well.
- Use the Twitter and Instagram search engines to define the hashtags that work best and make a list of them.
- Don’t use too much hashtags. On Facebook and Twitter the recommended number is 2, on instagram you can put about ten (be careful, always related to your activity).
- Avoid long hashtags and separate words with capital letters for example: #ThisIsMyLongHashtag
- Follow the trend to always appear in popular hashtags.
- Define a hashtag that will be your property and your branding.
- Mix strategies: use your hastags, the most popular ones…
- Avoid hashtags that are too long or too numerous: too many hashtags kill the hashtag.